Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lemon Meringue Pie

Lemon Meringue Pie

Today is the last day of February, I have to finished update those foods that I made during CNY. I prepared this Lemon Meringue Pie when a group of bloggers came to my place during CNY time (sorry for this poor photo, I was no time to take proper photo at that time).



 
The first time I tasted a very yummy lemon meringue tart was at Harrods Café KLCC when I met up with Jessie (Jessie's Cooking moments) and Yen (Eat Your Heard Out) before CNY.

 
Then I made this tart during CNY eve dinner. I was using the leftover pastry from pineapple tart. My family also first time tasted this type of tart, they were impressed too !
This tart is come with difference level of surprise, first you taste the buttery crust and mashmallow texture of meringue, then followed tangy lemon curd, and a hint of chocolate , yummy!


 
Then when the blogger friends and my best friend came to my house, I again made two large pies to serve them. They also like this pie too. Since I have to prepare many foods on that day, so I prepare the pie first except meringue which only made it on the spot before they come.






Lemon Meringue Pie 柠檬蛋糖派
*makes 2 x 9” round pie pan
 
For the pastry
500g plain flour
300g unsalted butter
1/2tsp fine salt
125g icing sugar, sifted
100g egg (~2 medium eggs)

Method

  1. Mix flour, icing sugar, butter and salt until the flour reaches a sandy texture (I use KA dough hook).
  2. Add in eggs and lightly knead to combine for 1min.
  3. Cover with cling film and refrigerate before use. 

For the filling

  1. Chocolate ganache -110g semi-sweet chocolate ( melt chocolate using double boiler method, add 2tbsp milk)
  2. Lemon curd -one quantity from recipe here
For the Meringue
88g egg white
55g icing sugar, sifted
1/4tsp cream of Tartar
1/2tbsp corn starch

Method

  1. Add in cream of tartar into egg white, beat egg white over high speed for 1min till foamy.
  2. Gradually add in icing sugar and beat till soft peaks.
  3. Add in corn starch and continue beat till stiff peaks.
To make

  1. Roll out pastry onto a lightly floured surface, then line on a loose-bottom round pie pan. Trim and neaten the edges. Prick the base with a fork. Bake at a pre-heated oven at 190C for 20-25mins or until golden brown.
  2. Remove pastry case from the pan and cool it, then brush chocolate ganache on the case.
  3. Fill lemon curd in a piping bag, then pipe lemon curd on the pastry case.
  4. Spread meringue on top of lemon curd, then bake at preheated oven at 190C for 10-15mins or until the meringue is slightly coloured. Eat the same day.