Thursday, July 21, 2011

Homemade Assam Fish Paste

After my mom taught me this Assam fish paste, I have stopped to buy from shops. Assam fish paste is a pre-cooked paste from ground fresh spices, moderately spicy with taste of tamarind, and it is suitable for cooking fish (stir fry, grill, BBQ or etc) or other seafood like squids and prawns. I just spent with few ringgit, I can have few containers of Assam fish paste store in freezer for my cooking of seafood.


Homemade Assam Fish Paste


Spices ingredients can easily get it from pasar (wet market)

Homemade Assam Fish Paste





Homemade Assam Fish Paste
(printable recipe)
Spices Ingredients500g Onions
A small bundle of Daun Kesum (Laksa leaves)
1” galangal /blue ginger (or replace with normal ginger)
8 stalks serai / Lemongrass
5 small chillies
1 bunga kantan/Torch Ginger Flower

200ml water
3tbsp cooking oil

5tbsp chilli paste ( I use homemade chilli paste)
100g tamarind paste ( mix with 100ml water, discard seeds)
4tbsp sugar
1tsp salt

Method
1. In a blender/food processor, grind spices ingredients till a fine paste.
2. Heat oil in a wok, stir fry chilli paste, add blended ingredients, tamarind water and water.
3. Stir fry till fragrant and almost dry, take about 15mins.
4. Season with sugar and salt.
5. Store in freezer once the paste is completely cooled.
Homemade Assam Fish Paste