Thursday, July 14, 2011

Steamed Flower Bowl Tofu



I saw this type of steamed dish quite often on China's sites.There are many variations, some serve it with sharkfins, some in superior broth, and some with noodles. It is actually called "Steamed 3 Silk", or 扣三丝

After lining the base of the bowl with the "silk" They just stuffed extra  silk (egg, hams, mushrooms or whatver) into the bowl cavity to steam. Instead I used tofu as the filling. And I used egg as the tofu's binder.
Sigh, the egg might be a wrong decision, as you can see, the egg has covered up most of the "flower".

Anyway, I quite like this dish.


70gm ham
3 filament crab sticks
1 egg, fried into a thin ommelete
1 Chinese Black Mushroom, soaked
240gm pressed tofu (firm tofu)
1 egg
½ tsp salt
Dash of pepper

1. Cut ham, crab sticks and ommelette into long thin matchsticks
2. Line a heatproof bowl with heat proof cling wap.
3. Put mushroom on base of bowl, cap side down.
4. Arrange ham, crab stick and egg strips in bowl.
5. Mix tofu with egg, salt and pepper.
6. Pour tofu mixture into bowl and steam on high heat for 5 minutes and medium heat for 15 minutes.